Thursday, April 11, 2013

A classless visit

I was delivering a well-reasoned harangue to a person in the Admissions Office--never mind about what--when a surprising fact disrupted my rhetoric, and I still can't quite wrap my mind around it. I was wondering why visiting prospective students don't ever visit my classes anymore and the Admissions person explained: "They don't want to visit classes."

What? A high school student considering investing tens of thousands of dollars in an institution of higher education would prefer not to know what goes on in the classroom? I see them visiting the rec center and the library, the cafeteria and the dorms, but they don't want to visit any classes? How can they make informed decisions about education?

Maybe that question answers itself--in which case I really don't want to know the answer.



 

No comments: