Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Crankcase cranky

Do you know what happens when you put oil in an old car (because there's a slow oil leak and you've forgotten to check the oil level frequently enough and the oil light is now blinking) and forget to put the cap back on the crankcase before driving 12 miles over twisty, hilly roads? 

Oil splatters out all over the hot engine, that's what. And then it burns, causing smoke to billow out from under the hood (and making you light-headed if you make the mistake of breathing while driving). And then if you accidentally left the crankcase cap sitting at just the right spot near the hood latch, you may find that the latch is stuck and the hood will not open. 

Don't ask me how I know all this but I will say that I've already experienced my full quota of excitement for the week and now I'm praying for an extremely boring day.

4 comments:

penn said...

I once let my oil cap off for, uh, north of 200 miles. That is also not pretty. And then I tried to clean off the oil with some water (young and dumb). That day, I am fairly sure I started what would become a crack in my engine block.

Bev said...

Ouch! Two days later I still smell oil burning, but maybe I'm hallucinating. Yesterday, though, I got what I wanted: one relentlessly boring day.

penn said...

awesome! I have never appreciated boring days as much as I do now. Being an adult puts boring into perspective.

I have recently learned that other people tend to do _nothing_ sometimes on weekends. Oh, how I long for that!

Bev said...

What is this "nothing" of which you speak? Interesting concept.