Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Playing with dolls? Who, me?

It took a mere 24 hours to solve half of the Mystery of the Doll in the Tree, but the other half remains mysterious.

Q: Who put the doll in the tree in our woods? 
A: My husband, who found it stuck in the ground while chopping firewood. (No, the doll wasn't chopping firewood. Don't be silly.) 

But he never mentioned finding the doll or putting it in the tree, so when I saw the doll the other day, I wondered why I had never seen it before. How did it get there? Did some past resident or youthful visitor put the doll in the tree or did it fall from the sky? Stranger things have happened! And how long has the doll been there? If a prior resident left it there, then how could I have walked past that tree for a full decade without seeing the doll?

Of course I didn't. The doll has been in the tree for only a few months since my husband picked it up in the woods. How did it get to our woods? The mystery remains.

I'm calling her Salvador Dolly, International Woman of Mystery, and I'm leaving her in the tree until her rightful owner returns. (See what happens when you grade paper after paper after paper? Even a doll in a tree looks interesting!)  

No comments: