Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Finals-week fragments

So I'm meeting with a student to talk about a revised draft and I suggest that he add a particular quote from the end of the novel, and when he looks confused, I realize that the quote I'm suggesting actually lives in an entirely different novel assigned in an entirely different class. It's a rough week for all of us, dude.

When I start seeing sentences about soldiers being "prawns" in the hands of leaders, I know it's time to take a break--especially when a second look reveals that no prawns were injured in the construction of this paper. Pawns is what it says. My eyes are failing or my brain is ailing or my will is quailing or all of the above. (Quailing? Where did that come from?)


So I take a cappuccino break (and no matter how I spell it, the word cappuccino looks wrong). Mom and two adorably well-behaved children sit down at the next table; sister asks little brother whether he likes broccoli; he shakes his head No, and she says, "That's okay. When you're in second or third grade, you'll like broccoli." And the thing is, she enunciates broccoli very carefully, with three full syllables. Who are these children and may I adopt them?

Speaking of children, my adorable grand-baby could arrive any time now. Good thing I've got all these final exams and papers to distract me! Tick tick tick tick tick...


 

No comments: