Monday, May 20, 2013

A big to-do

After spending most of my waking hours for the past five days marveling over my beautiful granddaughter, I have to go home. I don't want to go home, not only because I'm not allowed to take my beautiful granddaughter with me but because I'm frightened of what I'll see when I get there--a messy house, a pile of bills, grass up to my elbows on the front lawn and not a trace of food in the pantry. I'll bet nobody pinched the buds off my basil plants in the herb garden while I was gone. And what about my summer research and writing projects? And rearranging my office to accommodate the new bookshelf? And getting my canoe out on the water again? And tracking down the birds making that distinctive call up on our hill, possibly a flock of prairie warblers?

Wow, that's too much to think about all at once. I'll remind myself of what I keep telling my daughter: it may feel overwhelming at first, but just do one thing at a time and eventually it'll all get done--and what doesn't get done probably wasn't all that important.
  

No comments: