Thursday, May 16, 2013

A very grand baby

The temptation at first is to break a new baby into its constituent parts: she has Mama's lips, Daddy's fingers, and a cleft chin that could only come from Grampa. I see in her an echo of our baby daughter 26 years ago: the same dark hair, the same delicate doll-like face. At one day old she already carries a family heritage--a middle name formed from her two grandmothers' middle names (Jean + Nell = Jeanelle). And today she'll get a name of her own, a secret closely guarded by her glowing parents.

I'm looking forward to getting to know her, whoever she is!

5 comments:

Bardiac said...

Much happiness to the family and new addition!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Contingent Cassandra said...

Congratulations! Combined middle names work well, I think. I don't have one (my grandmothers had the same middle name, and I share it), but my brother does, and it has come in handy lately to distinguish him, as a newly-published author, from others with the same fairly common first and last names. His son is a little bit less thrilled to have it as a first name, but he goes by a much more common associated nickname, anyway.

Bev said...

And now we have a first name too: Elizabeth. Yes, my daughter is a Jane Austen fan.

Rebecca said...

Congratulations to the new grandparents!