Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What dreams may come

"When you write, you draw readers into a dream--and you don't want to give them any reason to wake up."

Anthony Doerr said something like that at a reading here last night, but he said it more concisely and elegantly and memorably--in fact, I made a point of trying to remember his wording at the time, but it came toward the end of a long and exciting day and I was pretty exhausted. Why didn't I write it down? Why did I sit down to listen to an author I admire without first equipping myself with paper and pen? I may as well admit it: the little gray cells just aren't functioning as efficiently as they once did.

But the reading was terrific! He read a vivid short essay on mobility called "Butterfly Wheel" and a section of a new story called "Memory Wall" coming out soon in McSweeney's. Now I need to get hold of the rest of the story so I can see how it ends.

The day ended with a reception and book-signing and started with the author visiting creative writing classes and having lunch with students. In the past some visiting authors have resisted spending time with students, but Doerr seemed delighted to discuss writing with ours. A very down-to-earth fellow is Anthony Doerr. I'm recommending Four Seasons in Rome to everyone I know (for reasons I explained in this post), and it wouldn't surprise me at all if inscribed copies started wending their way through the mails to some of my favorite people.

Right now, I'm waiting for drugs to start wending their way through my bloodstream. Chemotherapy is slated to start any minute now; we're just waiting for the drugs to arrive. I'm excited about my latest test results--tumor markers down to 19, from a high over 150! That's reason to celebrate, if only I had any energy left after yesterday's excitement.

Instead, I intend to spend the next three hours plunged into what dreams may come--and I hope no one gives me any reason to wake up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news on the tumor markers!

I don't know Doerr's work, alas. I'm 400 years behind.

Bardiac (for some reason, I can't get the google account thing to work.)

Joy said...

Such wonderful news about your test results today! Not that you care and that your tumor markers planned it for this day (I understand that not only does your cancer not care about your schedule, but it disregards mine as well), but it's amazing to feel great happiness in my heart for a friend today.

I enjoyed my time with Anthony Doerr (I hasten to call him Anthony or "Tony" - that isn't what it says on the book jackets ;) )and you're right, he seemed so ready to jump into a discussion. I've felt guilty since speaking with him about the bottled water I guzzle.