Saturday, October 24, 2020

New place to lay my head

Everyone who has ever moved houses knows that moment of despair when the thing you need most is not where you need it to be; for me that moment arrived last night when I was ready to collapse from exhaustion but realized that the bed was in one house while the pillows were in the other.

We’d be out of luck if this were a cross-country move, but fortunately we’re just moving our stuff a few miles, from a parsonage in the middle of Jackson to a rental house on a ridge in the woods a few miles outside of Jackson, with lots of help from a bunch of guys with pickup trucks trundling up the hill carrying our stuff.

Did I mention woods? My husband the social butterfly will miss having hordes of neighbors right outside the door, but next spring he’ll enjoy a much more extensive garden space out here in the country. Today I took a break from unpacking to go for a walk around the perimeter of the property, and within a few minutes I saw two pileated woodpeckers, a yellow-rumped warbler, and a whole host of red-bellied woodpeckers and eastern bluebirds. There’s a perfect spot for some birdfeeders out back by the deck, so I look forward to attracting colorful birds all winter long.

I’ve been sticking close to the house to unpack all the kitchen things, and despite my attempt to put things in sensible places, I know I’ll be struggling to find things for weeks and weeks. The kitchen is great—tons of counter space and really useful cabinetry, with drawers that pull out for ease of access to everything. Three bedrooms, two baths plus a third almost completed, and a spacious playroom downstairs for when the grandkids visit.

The entire interior needs painting and the deck needs some repair, but here’s the great thing: the owners are giving us a break on the rent if we help with the painting and repairs. Right now the walls are pockmarked with spackle and color samples, but once the paint arrives, we’ll have our work cut out for us. Painting walls can be soothing, especially when someone else has already taped up all the woodwork—my least favorite part of the task.

Right now I’m surrounded by boxes, the empty ones attesting to a very strenuous morning’s work and the full ones demanding attention, but my back wants a break. I can look out any window and see colorful leaves glowing in autumn woods begging for exploration, but for the moment I think I’ll just sit still and start to feel at home.

Back of the house

Sassafras!


Front of the house

View from the living room


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW. Beautiful.
Thank you.
First two days unpack max you can manage, then start reducing the unpack and be good to you. Steady progress will work and you will be settled in. Nice you get clean fresh paint and landlord is appreciative your help.
Thank you for writing.