Saturday, October 03, 2020

Hand me the rubber stamp

Someday I need to get a rubber stamp that says "You're doing exactly the thing I warned against on the assignment sheet." Or maybe just for fun I'll insert a bullet point on the prompt warning students against putting beans up their nose and then see how many come to class congested and sprouting.

It's only a few students, of course, but every time I reiterate the same instruction, it makes my brain hurt. Today I keep needing to copy-and-paste the same explanation of the difference between plot summary and analysis, and while I probably ought to feel guilty for not writing a personalized version of the explanation for each individual student, I don't. How many times am I expected to say the same thing over again before certain students take heed?

Don't answer that. For one thing, the number would be oppressively huge, and for another, even if I can convince my current students to follow instructions, I'll just have to start all over again with next semester's students.

As some wise person once said: ignorance is a renewable resource, which is why teachers have job security.

 

No comments: