Tuesday, April 09, 2019

What I really need is a piece of string to hold all the pieces together

What I need right now is the ability to be in two places at once, or even three: in Jackson where the bluebells are blooming, at home where the lawn needs mowing, on campus where the books I need are waiting for my attention. 

I need to speak in three registers at once: in church-lady chatter during Lenten events, in wordplay and subtle puns with my family, in scholarly jargon and complex sentences with my campus colleagues.

I need to exist in three time-frames at once: immersed in today's research while planning tomorrow's writing and endlessly obsessing over the logistics of our New York trip coming up at the end of the month (and if anyone wants to offer wisdom in reference to taking my car versus the train into midtown Manhattan, I'm listening)--and then nagging at the edge of consciousness is the looming fall semester, when my sabbatical will be over and I'll have to return to more regular habits and disciplines.

But all these competing demands divide my mind and distress my soul, so it's time to bring all the pieces together and spend some time simply being in the moment. Take me out to the ballgame--time to watch some baseball!

 

No comments: