Sunday, April 14, 2019

Getting started, managing momentum, finishing the race

There comes a time near the end of every major writing project when my brain gets restless and starts obsessing over the next project on the list. I may still be immersed in revision, dotting i's and crossing t's and filling in gaps and fiddling with format and making sure the document holds together as a whole, but part of my brain has already moved on, raring to go on the next big thing. I have to pull back on the reins or I'd never finish one project before galloping forward to the next.

Given this restlessness, you might think that starting a new project would be easy, but alas, such is not the case. I've just (finally!) submitted a complete draft of the current project and I've been itching to start the next one, but now that I'm free to start, I'd rather take a break--go to the woods, bake some brownies, read a murder mystery--anything but sit down and put actual words on the virtual page. 

Once I get some momentum going I have a hard time stopping, but getting started is the worst. I have to give myself a nudge before I can start rolling down the hill, promising myself rewards if I'll just write 500 words or 1000 words or some number of words greater than zero. I know I'll enjoy the process once it gets going, so why do I have so much trouble getting started? 

Maybe I'm just worn out from all that writing. Surely I'll be more motivated after a nap?

Someone wave the starter's flag. I need to get galloping!

No comments: