Saturday, April 06, 2019

Climbing Jacob's ladder--or at least that's what it looks like

"This is why we have to keep going into the woods," I said--"to keep us humble." This was after the third or fourth time this morning that I encountered a wildflower that I did not recognize. Near a soggy path at Lake Katharine we saw trilliums and mayapples popping up (but not blooming yet) plus the first bloodroot of the season, but some other flowers stumped me, and it doesn't help that my wildflower book is at the wrong house. So many plants, so much to learn! Good thing I'm not in a hurry.

Budding buckeye looks as lovely as any wildflower.

I love the way the leaf hugs the bloodroot stem.

Mayapples!!

Bloodroot

Blue cohosh

I don't know what this is, and the lousy photo doesn't help

I think this is Jacob's Ladder.

No idea.

Dutchman's breeches!!
 

No comments: