Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Halfway through a wild week

By Tuesday evening I'd logged 24 hours on campus in only two days--but the week isn't over. Afternoon meeting today, afternoon meeting tomorrow, evening event tomorrow, afternoon meeting Friday, afternoon event Saturday--I may as well roll out a sleeping bag in my office and skip going home.

Am I doing more this year than last? Evidence from my recent annual review would suggest that the answer is yes: last year I served on a committee that met three times all year, while this year I'm on a very active committee that plays an important role in my colleagues' lives and therefore requires a huge time commitment. Also, I've already done more for my department in the past two weeks than I did all last year, and I'm doing some extracurricular things with students as well. Last year I took a step back and spent some time licking my wounds from the previous year's painful battles, but I'm through with all that now and ready to move on.

But that doesn't mean I'm excited about spending 63 hours on campus in one week. This week's schedule won't be repeated any time soon, so I guess I'll survive. But next week? Don't look for me after 3 because I'll be rolling up my sleeping bag and heading for home.

 

No comments: