Monday, September 23, 2013

A feast of words

"I've looked up more words than I've ever looked up before because of your class," a student told this morning, and I wanted to dance in the streets. We're reading Eric Overmyer's play On the Verge and one of my students located an online glossary for the play--very helpful! Now when I tell them to "eschew the jellied viscera," they'll know what I mean. (Except no one recognizes "eschew," so I translated: "Just say no to jellied viscera." Words to live by, people!)

Next I'm going upstairs to introduce advanced students to Deleuze and Guattari's "Rhizome," which presents an entirely different kind of challenge. No jellied viscera in there! (Or is there? You never know.) My earlier class inspired me to show video of a Euell Gibbons commercial from the 1970s ("Many parts are edible"), but my next class may require me to draw an abstract tree on the whiteboard. I almost burst into the "Let's Get Liminal!" anthem during my earlier class, but in the next I'll assume a more rhizomatic posture. Totally tubular. Or tuber-like. Perhaps even visceral. (But not jellied.)

No comments: