Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Fiction, falling (with a splat)

My Concepts of Nature class was discussing "A White Heron," Sarah Orne Jewett's lyrical story about a young girl whose love for a bird causes her to sever ties with the human community, when my students started riffing on alternative endings.

She could have fallen out of the tree--or jumped! 

And landed on a white heron!

Or the white heron could have magically saved her. 

Or the hunter could have shot her--intentionally (to punish her for not revealing the location of the heron) or accidentally (not realizing that the innocent girl had been transmogrified into a heron).

I had to stop them before they started inserting vampires and zombies into Jewett's bucolic setting. Sarah Orne Jewett couldn't have written "The Writhing Bloodstained Zombie-Bird of Doom," but the task would give my students no trouble at all.

1 comment:

jo(e) said...

This made me smile.