Friday, June 21, 2013

We are driven (irrationally)

Am I capable of buying a totally inappropriate car just to spite a patronizing car salesman? 

Maybe. Car-shopping is making me just that irrational.

I test-drove two cars today and I probably won't buy either one for various reasons, none of them very convincing. In fact, as I compare cars, I find myself putting an inordinate amount of weight on utterly irrational factors.

Today I drove a sensible, dependable, comfortable, affordable car that meets all my specifications AND sat on a used car lot where the salesman treated me so well I want to buy a car from him just to reward his niceness, but I probably won't buy that car. Why not? 

I don't like the color.

I do, however, like the color of a car I found on another lot, where an arrogant know-it-all kept trying to tell me what I ought to want instead of listening to what I actually want. He so persistently pushed me toward the fuddy-duddy side of the lot that I pushed back and insisted on driving a nearly-new sporty model I can't possibly afford. Driving that car made my heart sing, and not just because it's red. I wanted to buy it because it has great pick-up, because it feels fun, and because it would show that arrogant so-and-so that I can't be confined to the fuddy-duddy side of the lot.

However, a car that low-slung would never survive our bumpy driveway, which gave me a good reason to reject it. But at least I know where to go if I'm overcome by a desire to buy a fuddy-duddy car from a patronizing salesman.

I know the right car for me is out there somewhere. I just hope I can keep the irrational urges in check until it comes my way.
 

No comments: