Sunday, June 09, 2013

Settling into my secret mission

So here I am once again huddled together with a thousand or so people in an undisclosed location (Louisville) performing clandestine tasks (reading essays) for an unmentionable organization (AP), and I can't really say what I'm reading about but I'm seeing much more variety than I did in last year's essays and for that I can only say Hurrah.

In fact, Louisville is better all around this year, and not just because I know what I'm doing this time. The weather is better--hot but not too muggy, with a nice cooling breeze so I can walk along the river without melting (although the traffic sounds are still annoying).  I have a terrific roommate and some really fun tablemates, and AP gave us fleece blankets to keep the chill off in the big horrible reading room. 

So I'm surviving. So far. One day in and I haven't run screaming from the room--yet. Kind of getting the hang of it. In fact, I don't want this to get out but I may actually enjoy this work. So far. Ask me again a week from now and I may have another story entirely. If I'm able to speak at all.  

No comments: