Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Strictly weedcentric

After a week of essay-reading, a day in transit, and three days of working indoors while waiting for the rain to stop, I woke to find a lovely clear day and bounded right down to the garden to see what's up.

Short answer: everything. I picked radishes and lettuce this morning but left some lovely heads of broccoli to mature for a few more days, and while weeding the carrot patch, I accidentally pulled up an infant carrot. There's no point in wasting a perfectly good carrot no matter how small, so I brushed off the dirt and popped the baby carrot into my mouth. Sweet and earthy, with a tangy aftertaste. I want more!

And it looks like I'll get my wish, provided that I can make some headway against the weeds. Yes, I'm entering the weedcentric part of my summer: stoop and pull, stoop and pull, stoop and pull some more. I'd hoped to get some hoe action today but hoeing wet ground is a hassle. But hey, I'll hoe some mo' tomorrow. (Stop me before I start to rap!)

The next big chore is tying up tomato plants to stakes, a great opportunity to spend some time inhaling the wonderful aroma that carries the promise of tomatoes. With my hands in the dirt, the sun on my back, and the taste of baby carrot in my mouth, I could work out there forever.

Or until the flies start biting--whichever comes first.

 

 



 

No comments: