Thursday, February 21, 2013

My mobile boneyard

Whoever parks beside my car today or even glances inside will be greeted by the fleshless skull of a deer stacked atop a pile of miscellaneous bones. I hope they don't call Campus Police to report that I'm operating a mobile boneyard on campus. Is that even legal?

It's not every day that I come to campus equipped with a big ol' box o' deer parts, but one of my colleagues has dogs that hanker after bones and we have an excess, thanks to Hopeful, who helpfully hauls home all kinds of animals, both intact and in pieces. This time of year, it is not at all unusual to look outside and say, with a sinking feeling, "She's brought home another head." 

Deer head, of course. No human beings were harmed in the making of this movie. I hope.

Eventually we end up with dessicated deer parts and bones scattered all over the yard, which then looks more like a boneyard than a front yard. So when my colleague last week mentioned that he spends more than $40 a week buying bones for his hounds, I offered to ease his burden. Hence the box of bones in the back seat of my car, which I left unlocked for my colleague's convenience. Who's going to steal a box of bones--or a 19-year-old car with 252,000 miles on it? Good luck trying to start it in this cold weather!

No comments: