Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Who wants to chair the Complaint Department?

I don't want to complain, but--wait a minute! Yes I do! I want very much to complain and gripe and whine and grumble because sometimes that's the only way stuff gets done! What I really don't want to do is to appear to complain, to develop a reputation as a constant whiner. So how can I complain under wraps, as it were?

And so here we are back in Passive-Aggressive-Land, where we motivate action through annoying indirection! What a dreary place, with everyone walking around weighed down by chips on shoulders and everyone withholding trust. Who wants to live here?

Maybe we need a Star Chamber where anyone can go whisper complaints into the ear of the Powers That Be without fear of repercussion or reprisal. But it's hard to follow up on anonymous complaints or to prevent people from pursuing personal vendettas. And then sometimes it matters who is making the complaint. If I've built up any credibility or force of character, I'd like to put that power firmly behind a cause that will do the most good.

So what do I do with this measly, gripey, fussy, petty little complaint that wears away at my spirit day after day? No one wants to lay claim to the problem or take responsibility, but I won't be able to get it off my back without dumping it on someone else's. 

Well rats. I do want to complain--but sometimes I simply don't know how.

 

No comments: