Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Parking, Prague, and progress

What's the best thing about having completed my term as Faculty Chair?

I'm no longer required to care.

That's what I've been telling people even though I realize it sounds a bit callous. Of course I care deeply about many opportunities and challenges facing the college, including the proliferation of the phrase opportunities and challenges as code language for problems. And of course I am willing to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem, which is code language for making a nuisance of myself to get important stuff done.

The difference is that the Faculty Chair is required to care (or pretend to care) about every pesky little nit-picky gripe and complaint that comes before Faculty Council and, moreover, has to devote a great deal of time and energy to making other people care and then figuring out the best method for solving the problem. Those of us who are not on Council and not serving as Faculty Chair, on the other hand, can make up our own minds which problems--excuse me, which opportunities and challenges--should engage our attention.

New parking policy? Don't care.

Search for new president? I care deeply, but I'm happy to trust my colleagues on the search committee to make the right choice.

Changes in travel grants for faculty members attending conferences? I'd better care--I'd like to go to Prague again in November!

See how easy? I've delegated to others the necessity of caring about two out of three issues, so instead of giving myself headaches over Parking I can devote time and energy to getting back to Prague. To me, that feels like progress.

Which reminds me: yesterday one of the new faculty members mistook the new Faculty Chair for my son. Does he really think I'm old enough to be the new Chair's mother?!! Trust me: I care. I care deeply.

1 comment:

LJL said...

That's what I think is the difference: you may care, but it's not required.