Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hot and cold

If I stay in Florida much longer, I'll need to buy a hat--and a sweater. It's stinking hot here but I've been spending too much time shivering inside Mom's rehab facility and Dad's church, and when I go out for a walk, the sun gets in my eyes.

No walk for the past two days because we've had too many places to be and too much rain, but this morning I was determined to walk until I could see a lake--not just slivers of lake between houses, but open water. It took me twenty minutes walking on pleasant shady streets to get to a stretch of lake with reeds and boathouses in the foreground and cypress trees in the distance. I passed plenty of old pale people walking big dogs and young dark people mowing lawns and trimming bushes, but I didn't see any middle-aged mottled people like me.

Then I turned a corner onto a busy main road and found my people in the stream of rush-hour traffic. There they are, going to work to earn a living so they can pay for the lawn care and the dogfood and the retirement plan. I'm the one who's out of place, wandering aimlessly on a weekday morning.

I walked only a block on that busy road but it was all sunshine all the time so I soon started to wilt. Where are all my hats? Back home in Ohio, of course, along with my sweaters. I need to either go shopping or go home.

No comments: