Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Brain-squeeze

What I really want to do this morning is go down to my berry patch and pick blackberries, a little difficult since my blackberry patch is in Ohio and I'm in Florida and my arms don't stretch that far. I wish I had a remote control device that would allow me to wake up my Ohio family and send them down to the blackberry patch to pick berries, and while they're at it they could check on the zucchini and pick some lettuce and radishes too, but I don't have a device like that and I don't know where to get one.

I text my son reminders to pull the buds off my basil plants. Has anyone mowed the front yard, cleaned the bathrooms, swept the floors? Who's taking Hopeful for long walks?

E-mails remind me of work awaiting back on campus. I'm keeping up with my summer online class pretty well but I'm having trouble focusing on other projects. Between taking my Dad to doctors' appointments and making sure my Mom is getting the care she needs, I can't seem to find time to think, and when I try to think, my brain feels squeezed.

Maybe it's time to stop thinking for a while. Stop thinking about blackberries and lettuce and basil buds and bathrooms and mowing. Just stop.

Yes: a little mental vacation. Just what the doctor ordered.

No comments: