Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Green light to go!

I was sitting in my Volvo at an intersection this afternoon when I noticed that the light had changed--to red. Wait a minute: if the light just changed to red, what color has it been all this time?

Apparently my brain has left for Florida without me. I'm flying to Orlando early Friday to take over from my brother, who has been helping my parents cope with their health problems this week, but the brain has already left the building. I need to be there--to see for myself, to make myself useful, to lift some burdens. I don't know exactly what I'll find but I know it's time to go.

I'm suddenly reminded of the Grand Prix Raceway ride at Disney World, that little theme park just down the road from my parents' house, a place where I spent an inordinate amount of time during my teen years. You'd stand in that long winding line, the Florida sun beating down and sweat mingling with sunscreen pouring down your face, and finally arrive at the entry point, where you'd settle into the tiny race car and await those magic mechanical words: "Green light to go!" The ride itself was about as exciting as a few laps around the lawn on a riding mower, but those words seemed to promise entry into a world of speed and exaltation.

Today I'm in the long twisty line, standing and sweating and waiting to get moving. Will this journey be more like a thrill ride or a few laps around the lawn? All I know for now is that I've got a green light and I'm ready to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel.
Also,
I don't.
D.

Joy said...

Godspeed Bev. Let us know if there's anything we can do. Keeping you in my prayers.