Saturday, May 07, 2011

A very grand son

The breakfast room at our hotel was crowded with people preparing to attend a college commencement, including an elderly man who hobbled over to sit at our table and asked, "So are you here to see your grandson graduate?"

Grandson!

I gave birth to that boy not quite 22 years ago!

The drive down to Texas may have aged me far beyond my years, but could this tottery old sod really think we were his peers? Grandson indeed!

I suppose that's what I get for hanging around with a genuine graybeard. Today my husband and I and our daughter and son-in-law were delighted to see our son walk across the stage and pick up his diploma. Afterward he took us out to the airport and showed off the aeronautical expertise that will (we hope) eventually land him a job somewhere up in the air.

It was a grand event and my son is a very grand guy--but grandson? That smarts.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

It probably doesn't help much, but my dad has been mistaken as my grandpa for over 20 years now...