Friday, May 13, 2011

A beautiful day for baseball

I was sitting in the stands at a baseball game today when a colleague sitting in front of me offered to block any foul balls that might come my way for a mere two dollars. "I'll stick my hand out there and back down so fast you'll never even see it," he said, and it's true--I never even saw it. But then again, I never paid the two dollars either.

It's a beautiful day for baseball even when it isn't. Our college team is in the conference tournament and yesterday's game kept being threatened by dark grumbly clouds. We would have lost if the game had been rained out before the seventh inning, but fortunately the storm bypassed the stadium and we came back for the win. Today's game was the converse of yesterday's: we scored a few runs early and then nothing for the rest of the game, but we held on for the win.

Will I go to the championship game tomorrow? I could stay home and clean the house, plant some flowers, mow the yard...nothing that can't be put off for a few hours. After all the angst of the end of the semester and the annoying encounter with car repairs on our recent road trip, I could use some baseball therapy.

You too. Come sit by me and I promise to block all the foul balls that come our way--for a price. My hand will move so fast you'll never see it.

No comments: