Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday poetry challenge: back by popular demand

It's hard to sleep these days what with hordes of readers clamoring for a return of the Friday Poetry Challenge. You should see the rabid fans jumping up and down outside my window waving hand-lettered signs (in verse!) and chanting slogans:

Poetry is right for me!

Give me doggerel or give me death!

Free the Friday Poetry Challenge
and I'll tell you what rhymes with orange!

Okay, I exaggerate. But there has been some interest from a small number (two) of readers eager for an excuse to assemble some light verse on a regular basis. To inaugurate this summer series of poetry challenges, here's a little haiku about an encore of a different kind:

Dewy green leaves hide
beneath weeds. Poison ivy,
why must you return?

Whew, my poetry muscles are out of practice. Surely you can do better than that!

2 comments:

dgwilliams said...

The Friday after work:
The long week has ended,
leaving a long weekend.
But now my eyes are suspended
only by will just now steepened.
Nevermind, time for a nap!

Anonymous said...

Bloody rain, tipping
down. Hail now the cutting word.
I un-block a drain.

D.