Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Copy that

At 2:30 p.m. I find myself sitting in a comfy chair in the administration building while a photocopier runs off a pile of copies for me--and frankly, at this point, I welcome the opportunity to be a little mindless.

All day I've been tweaking syllabi, writing paper prompts, responding to e-mail messages, trying to get my home phone fixed, and meeting with budget people to work out the costs for a spring break class trip to San Francisco (strictly for educational purposes, of course--it's a course on California Literature).

My mind has been going in too many different directions at once, so it's good to sit and let it gel while the photocopier spits out the copies one after another. The gentle rhythm of the rolling drum is soothing, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if my eyes were to shut.

All these people are rushing past moving boxes and computers back into freshly painted offices...if I fall asleep, surely one of them will wake me before my 3:00 meeting, right? If not, I may have to find a new job as a photocopy attendant so I can listen to those copies slide out all day long.

No comments: