Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Unscarred campus

I ran into a colleague this morning on my first half-day back in the office and I asked him if he'd missed me. "Of course we missed you," he said, "but the walls are still standing."

You would think that the three-week absence of a loyal faculty member would inspire, at the very minimum, the collapse of a building, but I saw no sign of cracks. The doorknob in the English department office keeps falling off, threatening to strand faculty and staff inside there forever with nothing to sustain them but three filing cabinets full of old syllabi and budget reports, but my office isn't even in that building any more. Somehow, the campus seems to have survived my surgery without a scar.

Wish I could say the same for myself!

2 comments:

Joe said...

You've helped build up the strength of the college the last nine years, so the foundation can last a few weeks without you. But that's just another sign of your solid, hard work. Never trust a mason who's walls stand erect only so long as they are in the room. All the same, very happy to have you back. No reason to take chances. I saw a crack in a wall in Thomas today.

MountainLaurel said...

The walls may be standing, but you're left gaps in the important part of the campus...the people.