Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Remote control optional

"Go to the bookshelf closest to the window." I spoke carefully into the phone. "It should be on the second or third shelf down. Look for a blue cover--or maybe green. Blue-green?"

I needed some information from a book in my office and my colleague had offered to help. As I gave her directions over the phone, what I really wished for was a remote-control robot that would go into my office and fetch whatever I needed to complete a writing project while I was stuck at home. Even though my colleagues don't come equipped with remote controls, they've been doing a great job making my recovery more bearable.

They have brought me flowers and sushi, salads and books, and they have sat and chatted when they surely had more important things to do. They have fetched my mail, returned my library books, and driven me to appointments, and they have provided encouraging words when I needed them most. Not to mention ice cream. Let us not underestimate the therapeutic effects of Oreo ice cream.

I have known for a long time that I have some of the coolest colleagues in any college, but not until these past few weeks have I understood the full extent of their gifts. With colleagues like these, remote-control robots need not apply.

No comments: