Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Coming-out party?

Ever since I attended an ASLE session with a bunch of really cool bloggers, I've been thinking about dropping the whole anonymity thing and attaching my name to my blog. I'm trying to remember why I chose to remain anonymous when I started this venture four years ago, but all the reasons sound pretty lame (didn't have tenure, didn't know how long I could sustain the commitment, didn't want to embarrass myself or my colleagues...the usual litany).

Now, though, it seems increasingly silly to hold on to the illusion of anonymity. Anyone who really wants to can figure out who I am without too much trouble--and besides, I sort of like some of my little musings and I'd like to hold on to them a little more securely.

These reasons, though, don't seem any more substantial than the ones that led me to choose anonymity in the first place. So I'm taking a vote: maintain the cloak of anonymity or hold a grand and glorious coming-out party? Comments written in haiku or limerick form count double.

6 comments:

Joe said...

There once was a blog named Excelsior
Whose anonymous author hid no more.
Bev unveiled her name,
The world remained the same,
Except for Boris, whose plinth, grew mighty sore.

I think that is a vote to reveal your name. Not sure.

Joe said...

There once was a blog named Excelsior
Whose anonymous author hid no more.
Bev unveiled her name,
The world remained the same,
Except for Boris, whose plinth grew mighty sore.

I removed an extraneous comma. This counts for four votes now, I believe. I was born in Chicago. This is JUST my kind of balloting.

Anonymous said...

Ok, the whole haiku/limerick thing gave me writers' block all day, but dear Joe's lovely attempt gave me hope:

There was once a woman professor
Who started a blog as confessor
But one day she said,
Off with its head!
And she revealed her true self,
heavens bless her!

Joy said...

Come out dear Professor! Come out and let the world know your greatness!

O'Nonymous said...

My dear friend and good-hearted blogger,
Stay nameless so e-thieves won't bother
To steal yer ID,
Breach yer priva-cee,
Or send out their phishes to dog yer.

jaywalke said...

There once was a lass from Ohio,
who penned an anonymous bio.
Her grammar was modest
but not so her bodice
her readers exclaimed, "She? Oh my, oh!"