Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Can't hurt--can it?

I was feeling pretty good yesterday: strong, well rested, pain-free, not exactly bubbling over with energy but not lethargic either. Felt so good, in fact, that I decided to give my hard-working spouse a break and fill the birdfeeder. Couldn't hurt, I thought. And at first it didn't--but many hours later it hurt enough to wreck my sleep and start my day off rather earlier than I had planned.

I've been trying to be a good patient but it isn't easy. Doctor's orders are simple--sit around and do nothing for a few weeks--but I'm just not very gifted in the nothing-doing department. I can read for only so long before my eyes start to ache, and surfing the internet simply increases the amount of vacuity in my existence. (How does one increase an absence? I need a physics professor to work that one out.)

And then I keep looking around and seeing simple tasks that I could do without pain or effort and I just about have to sit on my hands to keep myself from hopping up and doing them. Why can't I fold a little laundry, wash a few dishes, pay a few bills? Can't hurt. At least not right away.

And then later when it starts to hurt--well, at least I can distract myself by watching the birds visit the feeder I filled yesterday. They toil not, neither do they spin. Sounds like a good plan to me.

No comments: