Friday, July 17, 2009

Academic action

I think of this as an academic blog, but I don't seem to be blogging much about academics lately. Then again, it's July. What could I possibly be doing in the middle of July that would be considered academic?

1. Teaching an independent study in postcolonial literature, currently wading through Derek Walcott's Omeros.

2. Revising one journal article (due next week) and starting another.

3. Reviewing a few chapters of a new composition textbook.

4. Refereeing a manuscript for an academic journal that thinks I'm some sort of expert on the subject, which I suppose I am, even though it's not my primary field.

5. Reading over a pile of information related to faculty governance in case I actually get to assume my position as Chair of the Faculty in the fall, although I've already informed the Powers That Be that I may have to bow out of that role for medical reasons.

And those medical reasons, of course, can be blamed for interrupting my usual summer season of productivity and putting a lot of academic activity on the back burner. But that doesn't mean I'm doing nothing. I'm doing something...just very slowly.

No comments: