Wednesday, March 18, 2009

News junkie

"Young people don't read newspapers anymore," I said. "At least that's what the candidate for the journalism position told us today. They just can't be bothered with reading the paper when all the information they want is instantly available online."

We were sitting at the table together, my husband and I, smelling the delightful aroma of roast pork and rice pilaf, but we didn't want to dig in until the Texas kid joined us. He's home from college on spring break but even home cooking could not distract him from the newspaper article that held him in thrall--"Just let me finish these last two paragraphs!"

"That's right," I said. "Young people aren't reading newspapers at all. Not a bit of it."

But he didn't come to dinner until he was done reading the paper.

No comments: