Monday, March 16, 2009

My own economic stimulus plan

At first I felt guilty about taking two new pairs of dress pants to a seamstress to be shortened. Why pay someone else to take up a few hems when I could do it myself for free? But the fact is that I can do it myself for free only if my time is worth nothing, and this week in particular, my time is pretty valuable. Besides, cuffs are a pain--and in these difficult economic times, I'm doing my patriotic duty by stimulating the local economy.

Likewise, that speeding ticket my husband got last week in West Virginia is simply our opportunity to stimulate West Virginia's economy, and all that shopping I did last week looks like a bold statement of patriotic fervor. Even my recent spate of expensive medical care might look like an close encounter of the painful kind, but the pain dissolves when I consider the sacrifices I'm making to stimulate the local health-care economy.

Now that I've done my part, though, I'm happy to pass the torch on to others. I'm just waiting now for someone to come along and stimulate my economy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Bev, if it makes you feel better I hit the local Macy's sale this weekend and stocked up on bras. Yes, bras. But you know, they are expensive even on sale!