Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Boldly going where no Bev has gone before

Early this morning I awoke from a shopping nightmare: desperate to find a new suit in a store that was about to close, I couldn't even find the right department; I would ask salespeople for directions and try to follow, but I kept ending up in the children's section or in some dark musty sub-basement full of broken furniture.

Fortunately, my actual shopping expedition wasn't the least bit nightmarish. I drove to the Big City this morning along with an artistic friend who kept encouraging me to try on colors and styles I normally wouldn't consider so that at one point I found myself in the dressing room at Sak's trying on a gorgeous orange jacket ($568) and a stunning pair of white pants ($300), which seemed, oddly enough, quite reasonable at the time. But instead, I came home with two very nice but moderately priced teaching outfits and a dress to wear to my daughter's wedding. I still need a spring suit, but I'll have a chance to do some more shopping as I head to Kentucky to visit my daughter tomorrow.

Next week when all my colleagues get back from spring break compare notes about their amazing travels, it'll sound a little lame to admit that I mostly spent my break hiking and shopping--but today in those dressing rooms I found myself boldly going where I've never gone before, which is pretty exciting (and much more pleasant than my shopping nightmares).

No comments: