Friday, March 13, 2009

Full service

I got up this morning to find two inches of snow covering my car. In mid-March! In Kentucky! That's just wrong. My daughter helped me scrape it off and we set off for Lexington, where I dropped her off at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School, where she is student-teaching. I refrained from reciting any Dunbar poetry. I'm not sure I could do it without my morning dose of caffeine anyway.

Now I'm sitting at a BP station taking advantage of their free wireless Internet access. The local Starbucks charges $9.95 for wireless access, but at the BP station, it's free. Gas stations used to check your oil and wash your windows, but now they offer free wireless Internet instead. That's fine with me. I can check my own oil.

I've got the rest of the day to enjoy before gathering my daughter and having dinner with her and her fiance, so I think I'll do some more shopping. I've already bought all the interesting items I need for spring, so I'm now stuck with the boring but essential stuff: underwear, towels, a new suitcase. Maybe I'll go downtown and visit Black Swan Books, a treasure trove of used and rare books. Or maybe I'll just sit here at the BP station all day and enjoy that peculiar gas-station/convenience store ambiance.

Choice: that's what Spring Break is all about.

No comments: