Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fur and loathing

I saw clear evidence of the economic downturn when I went shopping for a raincoat in Pittsburgh Friday night. I found a rich deposit of colorful raincoats on clearance at the downtown Macy's, a vast multi-floor complex filling a city block, but I saw no more than half a dozen customers the whole time I was there.

The raincoats were adjacent to the fine fur department, an area that appeared to have been abandoned by the human race. When I had made my selection (with not a hint of assistance from any sales clerks), I went to the nearest cash register, where three sales clerks were standing and gabbing.

"You can't buy that here," said one of them. "We deal only with customers buying furs."

"And how's that working for you?" is what I wanted to say, but instead I took my raincoat across the store to another register and checked out. If they're planning to stand and chat until the next serious fur-buying customer appears, I have a feeling they'll be waiting a while.

So if you're in the market for a fur coat, I know three salesclerks who are eager to serve, but if it's a raincoat you're after, you're on your own.

No comments: