Thursday, February 01, 2007

Why I love winter

1. Pollen and leaf mold and other allergens get locked into the frozen ground and covered by snow so I can breathe freely for a change.

2. Classroom temperatures remain a little chilly, but I don't resent a cold classroom in January as much as I resent a bitterly cold classroom in July, when the building is both cold and damp.

3. My woods look like a picture postcard, all the dead brown stuff covered with a light white frosting of snow.

4. Juncos come back with the snow to entertain me.

5. No one begs me to go out for a walk when it's this cold.

6. There's nothing bluer than a clear blue winter sky.

7. Wool socks make me warm all over.

8. We heat our house with wood, which means our winter electric bills are half the size of our summer bills.

9. All my best teaching clothes are wool.

10. Cold weather is good for the constitution, making us feel as if we've triumphed over some challenge of mythic proportions. And we have.

2 comments:

Bardiac said...

I want spring to come!!!!!

I'm lousy at winter. Tell you what, you take my winter, and I'll deal with all the pollen in summer.

Bev said...

We ought to have a Weather Exchange Program: I'll trade you a few weeks of my spring for a few weeks of your winter, as long as you'll take the weeks when the tree pollen is prevalent.