Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Snow day

The view outside my window this morning is spectacular: everything is covered with snow, even the branches of tall trees. The sun is just coming up, making the frosted landscape sparkle and glow. I saw a truck drive by on the road a few minutes ago, but the road itself is still invisible.

Every public school in the area is closed today and every community college, but my institution remains open on the theory that the students are there anyway so we may as well teach 'em something. After a while we'll set out to try to retrieve my car, but my class starts at 11 today so I'll give the snowplows some time to do their work first. I'll be sure to take a change of clothes with me today so I can stay in town tonight if I have to, provided that I get to town--and if I don't, I'm sure my students wouldn't object to an unexpected day off.

No comments: