Friday, February 23, 2007

Cracks in the ice

The sun is out and the snow has mostly melted, but our creek is experiencing a bit of a problem: all that thick ice broke up and drifted downstream until it hit our neighbor's low bridge, which is now holding back these huge chunks of ice that would really prefer to flow down to the river. Last night the temperature dipped low enough to let some of those ice chunks freeze together. You know Superman's Arctic hideaway with all those gigantic ice crystals sticking up at odd angles? That's what my creek looks like today.

That's also sort of what my life looks like right now. There's this big obstacle standing in the way of all my other projects, forcing them to stick out at odd angles in a vaguely menacing manner. I have two options: chip the oddly-shaped chunks into smaller pieces so they can move past the obstacle, or wait for a warm spell when everything starts to flow again. Today I've been doing a little chipping, a little waiting, a little more chipping, a little more waiting, and now I see the sun coming out ready to warm everything up and let it flow. One of these it will all flow freely again, but meanwhile, I'm lurking like Superman in his Arctic hideaway and gathering strength for the coming spring.

No comments: