Tuesday, February 20, 2007

We all fall down

So far this week, various people have wanted many different things from me:

1. My parking space.

2. Paczki.

3. Permission to drop a required freshman writing course because it conflicts with the student's major courses and besides, she doesn't really need writing in her real life.

4. A teaching schedule with no afternoon or Tuesday/Thursday classes.

5. Minutes of last week's Faculty Council meeting.

6. My umbrella.

7. My library card.

8. A clear explanation of just what Robert Frost meant by "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening," including my opinion on whether the poem might really be talking about Santa Claus.

9. A job description for a sudden unexpected opening in the department.

10. A search committee for same.

11. Deadlines for submissions for departmental awards.

12. Grades on papers I collected only yesterday.

13. One hundred blank white index cards.

14. My department's opinion on 200 essays by prospective students.

15. A film canister full of ashes.

I've been pretty accommodating, but I've had to send a few people away empty-handed. No grades today, folks, and no free passes for freshman comp, but there are plenty of paczki left--or perhaps I can interest you in some perfectly lovely ashes?

For Lent, I think I'll give up listening.

1 comment:

kermitthefrog said...

After looking up paczki on Wikipedia, I'll take some of those, please. And a parking space would be nice too, but I'm not picky.