Thursday, August 17, 2006

Things I learned at an all-day meeting

1. Our college is "bricky"--not that there's anything wrong with that!

2. No matter how I dress for a long meeting, at some point I'll be either too hot or too cold. Yesterday I was both.

3. The pandemic is coming! The pandemic is coming! Whatever you do, don't panic!

4. No matter how many times I see "health care" written as "healthcare," I can't get used to it. When did the phrase become one word?

5. And don't even get me started on "wellness."

6. The Law of Conservation of Curmudgeonliness* continues to work: the retirement of an old fart creates a vacuum into which a somewhat less old faculty member is inexorably sucked. There's nothing like an all-day meeting to reveal the identity of the new suckees.

7. Good things will happen this year! Or else!

*Clarification: this law works at a variety of speeds depending on the amount of suction; sometimes a new curmudgeon is sucked into the role immediately after a retirement, and sometimes the process takes months or years. Therefore, it is difficult for outside observers to detect the line from the retiring curmudgeon to the replacement.

1 comment:

Laura said...

My current peeve is the verb problem-solve. "Let's problem-solve this." Why create a new word when a perfectly appropriate phrase already exists? Problem-solving the adjective, yes. Problem-solve the verb, no, no, a thousand times no.