Monday, August 21, 2006

Good news, bad new

Good news! My van is no longer making that annoying rattling noise suggestive of a loose connection in the exhaust system.
Bad news: It's now making a much more annoying noise suggestive of a total disconnection from the exhaust system.

Good news: we were just a few miles from home when the breach occurred.
Bad news: we had to drive through the Sunday-morning stillness of a small town in a car that sounded like a very loud riding mower badly in need of a tune-up.

Good news: the husband has promised to take my van to the garage today.
Bad news: that means I'm driving the husband's car, which I am constantly tempted to drive off a cliff or decorate with big signs saying "Steal me!"

Good news: his car gets 50 miles to the gallon and has a functioning exhaust system.
Bad news: it shakes the fillings out of my teeth and smells like dirty sweat socks, and getting in and out of that car requires the dexterity of a gymnast--I certainly wouldn't attempt it in a skirt.

Good news: I made it to work without succumbing to temptation and now I don't have to think about that car for a good eight hours.
Bad news: at the end of the day when I'm ready to collapse, that car won't be. It keeps going and going and going. That is, in fact, its only redeeming quality. So I guess that's good news after all.

No comments: