Monday, August 14, 2006

Baloney with everything

"Baloney with everything," I said, following the lead of my three colleagues who had just uttered the identical phrase. I don't know how they managed to convince me that my life would not be complete without at least once trying the fried baloney sandwich at a popular local lunchspot, but when they ordered their baloney with everything, I repeated their mantra.

But "baloney with everything" is too good a phrase to waste on a sandwich, no matter how special. Think of the groups that could adopt it as their motto: freshman composition students, advertising copywriters, parents inclined to give lectures in the "In my day young people knew how to respect their elders" pattern. As I prepare my syllabi for my fall courses, though, I am tempted to turn the motto around: "Everything without baloney." Not a bad motto for a student--or for a sandwich either.

No comments: