Saturday, September 28, 2013

A plethora of paw-paws

Two weeks ago I was too sick to attend the Ohio Paw-Paw Festival, but our paw-paw trees have decided to host a festival of their own. Most years the woodland critters gobble up our paw-paws before we can harvest, but not this year. This year we've got a bumper crop.

I don't know what combination of conditions produced a plethora of paw-paws, but I'm happy to enjoy the harvest in ignorance. The taste and texture are impossible to describe; if I tell you to imagine banana pudding with a hint of kiwi and a slight astringent quality, you'll go "Ewwww, yuck." But they're good! Really good! And they're a harbinger of fall, carrying a promise of the riot of color soon to be unveiled in our woods.

And best of all, I have plenty to share. Welcome to my personal paw-paw festival!

4 comments:

J. Otto Pohl said...

They grow papayas in Ohio?

Bev said...

Nope, but we grow paw-paws. Not at all the same thing.

Three Kidneys said...

Can you buy some from you? I just emailed too. I live in SWVA and the crop has been disappointing. I would also gladly pay for your time to go to the post office.

Bev said...

They're GONE! We took the rest of ours to a family event and everyone enjoyed them immensely.