Friday, February 22, 2013

To be or not to be (promoted)

The admin asked me to be in my office between 3 and 5 on Friday. I would rather be up and doing, but when the admin says be, I say, "How high?" Especially when I'm supposed to be waiting for an important piece of information re: promotion. So here I sit between 3 and 5--being.

It's not easy being me. I could be doing my taxes or my class preps or my grading, but doing wasn't part of the agreement: I am under orders to simply be for two hours on a Friday afternoon while awaiting important news from a person not known for punctuality. Is being something I can accomplish while listening to music? Live music would be better, but where would I get a mariachi band this late on a Friday when there's ice all over the roads? Do mariachi bands even exist in locales subject to ice?

Do-doodly-do-do, be-beedly-be-be, just let it be. I sit and wait for a while, and then, just to change things up, I wait and sit. Sit. Wait. Wait. Sit. Boring. Let's face it: being is boring. Maybe I'm not doing it right--instead of simply being, maybe I should try being in the moment, but what moment and how do I go about being in it? Someone send me an instruction book, preferably one translated into four languages so I can sit here and be entertained. And a mariachi band. How about a mariachi band equipped with an instruction book?

But wait: being entertained was not part of the admin's insistence that I be in my office from 3 to 5. On Friday afternoon. To await important information. From a person not known for punctuality.

If I'm still here being patient at 7, please send in the Saint Bernards. Equipped with a multi-lingual instruction booklet and a mariachi band. And, if possible, a promotion.  

8 comments:

Bardiac said...

I can comment!

Here's wishing you a great promotion, with a massive pay raise, and some great birds to see on the way home this evening, with, or without, a Saint Bernard!

Bev said...

And at 3:55 the answer is--drum roll, please--FULL PROFESSOR!!!! Woo-hoo!

Bardiac said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

Contingent Cassandra said...

Hurrah! It seems like there might be better ways to handle such a notification (though I can think of worse ones as well. . . .)

Rebecca said...

Congratulations, Bev! Well-deserved.

Bev said...

Thanks, all! We've been celebrating by eating out, walking around a wetland, attending a student art show, and, because we are totally wild and crazy people, going to Lowe's to buy a toilet seat!

Spanish prof said...

Congrats!!! It was a good day for us!

Anonymous said...

Go out and buy purple unmentionables. Only full professors are allowed to wear purple unmentionables. Possibly available here http://www.gammarelli.com/

D.