Thursday, March 25, 2021

Green(ing) world

I had to get out in the woods today before the weather turns awful again, and I'm glad I did. From a distance the forest floor looks brown and lifeless, but step closer and you'll see buckeye buds bursting into new leaf, feathery foliage of dutchman's breeches peeping out from among the dead leaves, and tiny ephemeral blossoms of hepatica and anemone lifting their faces to the sun. 

Sunshine was what I needed--I've been spending so much time in my office staring at student prose on my computer monitor that when I leave the office, the whole world seems to be made of twitching pixels. But a morning in the woods calms my mind and rests my eyes, which revel in the spreading patches of green. Combine this new growth with the songs of birds and the sounds of rushing water and the woods become an ideal refuge. (When can I go back?)





I love the showy buckeye buds bursting forth.

I think this is marsh marigold. Couldn't get very close.


This I do not know.




 

No comments: