Friday, March 05, 2021

Friday poetry challenge: Break, broken

My grown-up son had a nice surprise last night. Months ago he'd booked a ski weekend in West Virginia, and then what with his car problems and other recent chaos, he totally forgot about it until last night when his phone reminded him to pack for his ski trip. 

You'd be amazed how much a surprise ski weekend can cheer a person up. I confess that I got a little envious. Even though I don't ski (because I'm perfectly capable of breaking a leg without all that expensive equipment), I started wondering, Where's my surprise vacation? 

And then on top of that, I received a bunch of emails from students offering various excuses for missing today's classes, few of them credible. I suspect that a bunch of students stretched their one-day spring break into a full week away from responsibilities. I can't say that I blame them--I'd do the same if I didn't have a host of tiny Puritans inhabiting my brainpan--but again, Where's my spring break?

Maybe writing about it will make me stop obsessing. No? Well, it can't hurt:

Don't take
my break
away!

Today
I work,
you play.

Someday
I'll run
away

and sun.
Today
I'm done.


No comments: