Saturday, April 21, 2018

Still standing

I crunched across the frosty meadow this morning to see how early-spring wildflowers are adjusting to this week's snow, sleet, rain, frost, and occasional sunshine, and I was surprised to find many delicate blooms still standing. The trout lilies nestled amongst the ramps looked healthier than those more exposed to the elements, and I also saw a phoebe tending a nest and the first leaves of solomon's seal unfurling. 

So the wildflowers have survived despite everything--and so have I. All Scholars Day is over and it all went well, and the few glitches that arose were easily handled. I'll have more to say about that soon, but first I need to let my brain rest a little bit. Let's look at some lovely growing things that don't make any demands of me except to be left alone. 

trillium

trout lily

dutchman's breeches

buckeye

nest nestled on the cliff face



No comments: